Pagina's

maandag 19 oktober 2020

BK XC Marathon


In the end we did get to race a national championship. I was super disappointed when the GRG (National Championship 2020) got cancelled. It's my favorite event because I usually feel really good during this period and it's a technical challenging ride. 

Parcours 5KM starting loop followed by 3 laps! 

But then we received some great news... Koenraad Verschoren (organizer of BeMC stage race) was able to organize a replacement with BeMC Marathon in La Roche en Ardennes. 

Getting my start number

It would be a tough one... Almost 90KM with around 2800AM!! But guess what, I like it this way... The weeks before the race I focused on this day, trying to find a balance between working, training and rest. Sleeping with my fingers crossed that it would not be cancelled. 

Warming up on the rollers

My goal was the podium, but with some very strong ladies starting that day I knew this would become a very difficult task. The last weeks before D-day it pored rain so it would not just be hard... It promised to be epic...

Sartline in the mud!

Peter decided not to ride. He loves muddy conditions but not in cold and rainy weather.  So each round he handed me a bottle so I didn't have to stop to refuel. 

Peter @feedzone 1

And Epic it was! During the first climb the top 5 stayed together, once we went offroad the pace went up. I found my own steady pace and turned around in 4th and 5th position. I felt good but raced my own race which was 5th position during the biggest part of the ride. We slipped and slide around, I managed to ride all sections and go down the hills like a rocket! 

When Peter handed me my last bottle he told me he would head back to the camper. At this time I was still riding in 5th position. 

📷Credits @Bart Knops

Just before the last feedzone, in the last 15KM, I saw number 4 appear. I still had enough fuel on me, so I decided to skip the feedzone. We started to climb the steepest section when Kristien grabbed something to eat. I  made the jump and left her behind. I had to push it all the way up now before I could check if she followed or not. 

I had a gap and knew I had to give myself until the finish now. She is a very strong rider and I knew she would try to fight back and close the gap again. 

I crossed the finish line after 5h20min looking like a muddymonster... Before getting cold I rode to the camper where I found Peter very proud. I finished with mixed feeling. 

Me aka Miss Mudface

Happy that I moved up a place, but a little disappointment that I didn't make it to the podium. 

In the end I know I did everything to give it my best and I never finished this close in such a strong field. I'm happy with my progression physically and technically. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten