Pagina's

dinsdag 29 oktober 2019

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Grächen



For the first time ever we have team. Peter is promoted to as team-manager for the Belgian athletes present. The way to Grächen isn't the easiest one, but friday around noon we arrive in the beautiful Wallis. I go for a little recon with Maxime an other rider on the team. We do the small start loop and the first desend followed by the last climbing section. It took us much longer then we expected. But I love the decensts. Technical switchback section all the way down. I'm pretty happy to ride my full suspension here with dropper seatpost. It makes the short turns much more comfortable.





















The last climb is a beast. It starts ok not too steep but it takes for ever and the last part is not just hard, it is horrible. Even the best riders in the world will walk this part. Even with fresh legs it's almost impossible to ride this super steep rooty section on altitude. So at the end of a very hard race, I bet this will be the main suffer part of this Championship.



In the meanwhile Peter sets up the camper and everything we need!

Saturday he planned a little team recon. And than Veerle and I will go and check the second big downhill section on the course. Peter drives us almost all the way up, and he will pick us up at the bottom of the descent,  to get us back to Grächen.

Raceday:

Veerle and I start first. Peter preps the rollers, so we can warm up together. Due to our races throughout the season we both can start in the first box. So all the way in the front.



During the call up I'm number 8 on the list. This is so cool! Next to me former world Champions and the best riders in the world.
I realize it will be only for a few seconds, but just like every other race I will do my very best to ride as hard as I can.

The first startloop is crazy, during the first downhill I take a wrong turn, it costs me some time, but I manage to pass some riders again during the first descent. I race my heart out and really try my very best. I feel much better than last week and I manage to keep my energy level up.




















In the climbs I get passed by some stronger girls than me, but most of them I catch back on the more technical parts of the course. In the last climb it's a true fight, not only with other riders that I want to pass, but also with myself to keep up the pace and make sure the first men won't catch me.

The only part of the course I didn't know is the finish loop... I know it is about 10K similar to the startloop. So I plan my last power gel really carefully. And it works 😃 I manage to find the last power left in my legs. I hear Peter screaming to keep on fighting, it gives me an extra boost.
I turn in the last final loop and give it my all. But it turns out to be more climbing than expected. It hurts so hard, I count down the KM to the finishline! It is so crowded and the feeling is brilliant!





I didn't manage to do better than last year, but I loved this race.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten