Pagina's

zondag 28 mei 2017

Rocky Mountain Marathon Willingen

One of our annual events since four years. Always great atmosphere and awesome people around.
I do have to admit I always look forward to the Willingen trip. In three years I managed to get a 3rd place on the long distance (130Km), and a 2nd place on the middle distance (95km). This year my podium ambitions were present, but I could not estimate the recovery in the legs from last week's BeMC.


The drive to Willing wasn't really smooth, rain, roadworks and stau. Instead of a 5 hour drive it became almost 7 hours. Luckily we did not had to search for a place to park our little home as we have been here a couple of times.


Because the start of the 3 different distances is given at the same time the first wave is packed with fast riders. Our sponsor Fizik arranged our participation so Peter and I started in the very early first wave at 7:30AM.
Racing this early means waking up in the middle of the night at 5AM 😱. Eating, preparing bottles, prepping Overstims gels and bars and getting our start numbers.

























As the last 2 days it has been raining abundantly it was going to be slippery and wet on the tracks. The good news was that for the race the sun would be out!


My start wasn't very fast and it was clear my climbing legs were still hanging around in La Roche but in the muddy descents I was moving up some places. As all distances started together you can decide during the race after which loop you finish. And 130KM was definitely a no go this year. When Peter joined me after about 20KM I decided to try to follow his pace. He's legs were having a good time that was clear. When we reached the end of the first loop after 55KM I decided to go for the finish.
Result 4th place overall WOMEN and 3th  place in the elite category women.

So podium after all.


After the race we visited some of our friends and partners...

 

 

 

Happy to have these great partners, who make this possible
CrankbrothersCanyonEnduraOverstimsFizikMuc Off, Absolute BlackKogel and Schwalbe

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten