Pagina's

donderdag 5 mei 2016

Roc D'ardenne in muddy Houffalize

Saturday April 30th it was race-day in Houffalize.

Promising conditions on the way to Houffalize

Weather was improving getting closer to Houffalize


Bike tesing park at Happy Bike Days


Canyon stand prepared for the weekend

 Women start was very early, at 8:15AM, so we left on friday afternoon after work. Peter's startbox was scheduled around 9AM. So racing together would not be for today. We arrived around 7PM got our start numbers, installed the camper and returned to town for some pasta.



Saturday morning 5:30AM was time to wake up, it had been raining all night so it promised to be a cold, muddy day.
Getting ready is routine: eating as much as we could, checking bikes, making drinks, taking Overstims food and warming up.










Sara's story:

8AM I was warmed up and riding to the start where Peter and the Canyon crew were waiting to see almost 30 women start at a UCI world series MTB Marathon. Fast start but the first climb can be a real killer if you go to hard. I managed to stay around the 15th position at the top when we turned right on the trail.

After 10KM I was in the lead of a little group, but I took a wrong turn. Soon we were riding with 10 of the girls on the road somewhere in Achouffe and decided to run back up, riding was not an option, much too steep.
It was a hard race and the first part I felt strong, I kept on eating and drinking. Trying not to slip in the mu cost me a lot of energy though. Every feed zone I got an update on my position from Wouter Declerck from Trust Team who was supporting his wife, also in the race.
At the last feed zone I was riding in 11th position. I could pass a girl who was having technical trouble. My goal now was trying to keep top 10, but the hard conditions started to take it's toll.
I was slowing down and it became a survival expedition. I felt another girl was coming closer and I couldn't keep up when she passed me. No more power left, I felt empty. After 5h44min I finally crossed the finishline in Houffalize.

Cold but happy I finished 11th. My bike had doubled in weight during the race, so a little fast bikewash for "the horse" and a hot shower at the campingsite for "the rider".
Recovery shakes ready and hopefully in time to see Peter finish the race.

Peter's story:

Alarm at 5:30AM? You must be kidding me....
What a man won't do for a "moment de gloire".
I decided to get warmed up real good this time and not go in the startingbox too early. Better warm at the back the, cold in front was my tactic for the day.

Starting procedure was a bit hectic, and nobody knew or understood why there was a start at 09o'clock, and only a few riders in front of the box could get away...
They had separated the licensed riders from the masters, so I could only start 10' later. Completely cooled down already, I tried to keep focussed and stuck to my tactic.
Not too fast at the start. I'm getting old; that's why.

I found a good pace once on the tracks, and I managed to pass a lot of riders, and jumped from group to group. Bla bla bla...

So far so good.
Then disasters strikes. Too much mud got stuck between chain and front derailleur (quite happy this was the last time I was riding with such a thing). Chain got stuck, and something broke in my rear derailleur (perhaps I should lose this one too in the future???). Not much damage, but I was now riding with two gears left. A 36/19 and a 22/19. Not quite the best option for riding in those conditions for more than 30km's still to go to the finish.
Lost a lot of time and places due to this "detail".



Happy (not visible) and exhausted I finished the race after 6hrs25'.
Not the best start of the season, but when I'm writing this, I already feel much better about it. After all we were still in heavy trainingperiod.
Next goal is the BeMC in La Roche next week.


New bikes, better legs, better weather, better start, no mech troubles, I WISH...

RESULT WOMAN
RESULT MASTERS 2





 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten