Pagina's

zondag 30 augustus 2020

Engadin Bike Giro 2020

πŸ˜•πŸ˜•During the lockdown our race calander sort of disolved entirely... First it was weekly and then daily that events got cancelled or postponed. There was even a time we think we wouldn't race at all during this season. But then Sauser events sended out e-mails that they had a waiting list for the Engadin Bike Giro.
We raced here before, 4 years ago. But due to participation in other events and the cost price (it is La Suisse 😁) we skipped it a few times.

We did have to wait until the end of June before we got the official "go". Swiss government and in particular Silvaplana gave the go for the event.

Getting the race kits clean πŸ’¦


From Czech Republic we travelled to Swiss, but we made a stop in Germany to give everything a good wash and do some recovery.
Luxery public toilet @ Sankt Moritz

4 years ago we stayed at the beautiful camping ground in Silvaplana. But this year the competition is in high season. The camping ground was fully booked. They did get us places on a parking next to the Corvatch cable lift. Not ideal, but a beautiful view...
Sleeping on altitude with a view 😍

What more to wish for??


Time to meet our friends again and to meet new friends.
coffee ride with TRUST team 


STAGE 1: SANKT MORITZ 34 KM (AM 1200M)

Short, but so much fun! We started climbing up and after reaching the top in Sankt Moritz our effort was rewarded with a lovely flowy downhill in the local bike park! I decided to use my hardtail today... It was not to technical up and with my Crankbrothers Highline dropper seatpost I can handle the flowy downhills perfectly. Peter catched me right before we started the last downhill and we had a blast! 

COVID 19 - proof start

Pure joy 😁

After race recovery with @overstims


STAGE 2: SILVAPLANA Birthday ride 71 KM (AM 1500m)

The weather forecast was off! It would be raining and in the mountains on altitude this is never a good thing.
We both dressed well with our Endura Spraypants to stay relatively dry and warm. I was extra keen to ride.... Peter was much less enthousiastic.

At the startline they played a Birthdaysong for me... Super cool. But when the start was given, horror sticked. I had a flat front tire. I pulled out My MUC-OFF BAM and it did the trick... The foam got in my face, but there was a super friendly lady who helped me wash it of. NO STRESS...

I felt great during the ride, but when we crossed the finish zone again my front tire was flat again. My BAM was ready to hit it a second time and I found the issue. My valve wasn't closed well so I fixed it and ready to ride again...

Hero of the day!! BAM πŸ’₯ muc-off magic

The second part of the ride was hard, some steep climbing and on the top it was really cold and wet. But after the hard work the playing started. Although my fingers and cheeks were nearly frozen I enjoyed the super long flowy trail down. I even caught up some other participants in the end.
Technical slippery sections πŸ’—
Smiling or frozen cheeks???

When I finished I first got some food in. Then I spent to much time at the bikewash to get my bike mud free. And to give myself a present I showered at the camping spot. I just got in the shower with all my clothes (the cleaning lady helpt me, super sweet) and I think I spent over 20 minutes in there.
Peter couldn't choose, so 4 cakes πŸ˜‹


Peter started, but didn't finish the ride. Too cold... When I arrived at the camper he took care of my bike, the sun came out and he got me some Birthdaycakes ...

To end the day we had pizza
Best pizza with best boyfriend 😎
Anna Taubers mom suprised me with the cutest cake right before bedtime... So sweet 😻


STAGE 3: SILVAPLANA 62KM (AM 2000m) 

During the last stage there was some brutal climbing on the menu. After stage 2 my legs were anything but fresh so I didn't push to hard. On a long flat section with head wind I was lucky I could hide behind a large powerful rider so I could save some energy. Just before we started the super long climb Peter catched me. 
He had some super legs today and I could not keep up with him. Bummer πŸ€ͺ

I did manage to ride the technical part as I wanted, but I lacked power in the end to put down a strong performance. I did enjoy the beautiful surrounding and the last brilliant downhill... Apparently I did come really close to some of the other riders who were climbing much faster 

Suffering with a view πŸ˜…

13th overall in the GC amongst this super world class bunch of riders is pretty much the best I could do. And what a brilliant race. Thumbs up for the great organisation for pulling this off in COVID 19 times!!!


The only negative thing about this visit is that we have to leave again πŸ˜’
On our way home @ walensee

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten