Pagina's

vrijdag 30 augustus 2019

Rothaus Bike Giro


Our first stage race ever was the Trans Schwarzwald. The first time in mixed team and later as solo riders. After five editions we decided to race other races. Our last edition was also the last Trans Schwarzwald, because since than they changed the name and concept.

Rothaus Brauerei

This year we went back, to the Rothaus Bike Giro. A four day UCI stage race in a total different concept than before.

DAY 1 : Rothaus - Rothaus

The accreditation starts around 11AM, we than have time to get ready to start our race a 13:00.
A bit strange as we are used to start in the morning, so our day routine is a bit different than a normal race day.
The stage is just over 60K with around 1500 AM. Which is not to much, but this makes it a fast race.
After our bike holiday I have no idea how my legs will react, so this was one big questionmark.



Starting in the UCI Elite category I realize it will be hard to reach the top 10. We start very hard and I try to follow, but I suffer. The pace is very high on this fast rolling track and my legs suffer.

I finish on a 13th place just behind the number 12, but I survived and Peter finshed only a couple of minutes after me.

what a view


DAY 2: Rothaus - Rothaus

A longer stage with more altitude meters. A stage I liked, it was more mountainbiking due to the trails on the course. We started with a fast downhill, not the hectic because of the separated start we had with women only.
I find a good pace and manage to take some riders back during the stage. I finish in a 12th position and move up a place in the GC.

German coconuts


During the stage Peter spotted me, we road a while together, but it was not he's best day. Not enough energy in the legs. He finished a little later than me.

After arriving we clean the bikes, eat, shower and pack up the camper. Because the next stages are on Feldberg.

Arriving on the Feldberg we are lucky, because camping is not allowed, but the organisation reserved the parking.

To fuel up we have a great snack before we eat.

Kaiserschmarrn


DAY 3: Feldberg Time trail

what a girl

We start in the afternoon for a 10K timetrail. Peter starts an hour before me. This time I make the time to accompany him to the startline. In a little more than 30 minutes he reaches the finishline.
When he returns I'm warming up on the rollers to make sure I can go full on. I start 4th in my category and all women faster than me start behind me. Peter gives me some advice about the course and the lines. This time he comes to the startline with me.

Warm up
Line up


















First we climb further up the hill followed by a decent with some technical sections. Once we are at the lowest point we climb all the way up, mostly on the road and on the very steep ramp.

ready


I go full out like Peter told me to do, from start to finish. I overtake the 3 riders that started before, but the fast ladies behind me overtake me too. It feels like my legs will explode, but I keep pushing while Peter is screaming at me in the last hard part.

I finish in a fast time and move up in the GC. Number 11, but top 10 is not in sight yet. The time gap is to big to make up in one stage.

what a guy
out of order


















DAY 4: Feldberg - Feldberg

A short distance, but on this short stage we get a lot of altitude meters.
I was motivated and had a good recovery, we started on a fast downhill again and I could keep up with the top women until we started to go uphill. I find a powerful steady pace, the end of the stage is all the way back to the top of Feldberg.
Peter found he's climbing legs and finishes shortly after me.

What seemed inpossible happened. I finished in 10th position and also moved up into the top 10 of the GC.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten