Pagina's

woensdag 23 mei 2018

Belgium Mountainbike Challenge

This year was my 5th  participation to Belgium's hardest Mountainbike Race, for Peter he's 6th participation (due to my broken arm 6 years ago).
So over the years it became an annual event. We have seen the race grow and in particularly the high level of professional riders.

A few years ago we were only 8 women in the UCI category this year it was a serious challenge to even reach the top 10. But even though it was a nearly impossible goal, I was going to fight for it.

And the driver is......?
So Tuesday we arrived in La Roche en Ardennes, after a quick lunch we went for a fun ride which included the steep start climb of the first race day followed with a nice more technical descent.
No sheep?

Good times


Yes sheep... 

Day 1: opening stage

Friday morning the race started later than usually in the small village streets of La Roche.



My race plan was simple. I would ride my own race not having to much attention for the other female riders. Try to ride as economical as I could with a steady race pace. The ride was not too technical and I managed to ride in little groups which made it possible to not waste any energy. I expected to see Peter during the ride, but that didn't happen. After I finished luckily he arrived not so far behind me. Apparently he had a flat rear tyre right before the race even started. So he literally started as last rider of the pack.

Girls having fun.
I finished as 13th UCI women. So now it was time to try to move up in the GC the coming stages.


Day 2: Queen stage 100KM



Soon after the start I reached one of the women riding in the open category. We rode together almost the whole race. Around 30 km into the race Peter joined us. In the straight parts with head wind he took the lead.
It was tough, not only because of the heat, but we conquered a lot of very steep climbs impossible to ride. So we had to hike up (read: clamber) with our bike.

Me having fun...

In the final part of the race I overtook an other female rider who was in front of me in the GC. So I scraped all the power that I had left together and tried to make up some time.

Me having even more fun...

"Keep your bike out of the water" Peter said.
I finished 12th today and also moved up a place in the GC. Goal of today achieved.


Day 3: Rainy day 



When we woke up it was raining and the forecast was not looking very promising.
Peter was extremely happy, NOT
He decided to keep he's bike clean today

Raining cats and dogs; and she's still smiling...
My goal didn't change, I hoped to move up to the top 10. Mission impossible? The women in the top 10 usually are stronger than me and the time gap in the GC was too big.

I knew what was coming today. A very steep climb and the rain was not going to make it any easier.
There was not too much left in the legs. The hiking parts of stage 2 left it's marks. But I was not going to give in. I tried to ride as economical as possible, not very easy but I managed.



I didn't ride as strong as I wished I would, but I did move up another place in the GC. Making it to the top 10 was mission impossible this year, but I'm happy with place 11! The UCI women category was the strongest yet and I'm happy I was able to survive the hardest stage race of the Benelux for the 5th time!

When you're reading this there's already another weekend with two races behind us, so keep checking our blog to read all about that one too.

Carry on.


 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten